Now, game development is often like “If you give a mouse a cookie” – when you add one thing, you need to think about the ripple effects of that addition.
When setting out to create the weapons feature we had to ask a lot of questions, and figure out how to create answers that worked with the current game systems.
These questions included:
- How would players use weapons to attack (Real time? Turn based menu? Both?)
- How strong should weapons be? (HP damage per attack, would they inflict status effects)
- Do weapons break from use/dropping?
- How would enemies use them? (real time, turn based, both?)
- How do weapons get introduced into fights (in breakable objects? Or just held by enemies?)
- Who carries what weapons?
- Can enemies pick up weapons after they are dropped?
Here are some of the answers.